Monday, January 17, 2011

Mirror-ed

Do you know that breeze that comes when you walk along PD beach? That cold, nice string of wind that brushes off your hair that was covering your face under the hot, glistening Sun? Well, I know it too well that when the icy,cold wind of Pullman attacked me, I had a quick thought of PD beach! I miss the beach too much now. It always listened to me, listening to her. It always gave me back appropriate answers when I suddenly asked them out of the blue. She answers back with waves that often cool off my burning feet.

First week of school went fairly well with more reasons to smile. I received wonderful comments from Dr. Gail Miller after my first speech in Public Speaking class. I started speaking out in my Writing class. I also had an paper to hand in at the end of my semester in that class, by the title ' The best things in life'. I am pretty excited on that one. Physics, again, had me intrigued with its magnificent electromagnetism. What's more, my Genetics class had me use the iclicker for the first time, despite getting 4 out of 5 questions wrong. My first assignment in my Women Studies class had me writing the reasons I was there in WSU. And my dance classes, was the usual-awesome.

I have also been cooking and experimenting with food items. Fish sambal and potato varuval was what I ended up on one day. Divwya was on the phone telling me what to do to complete the potato gallore that took my tongue by surprise when I was at her place during winter break. We sounded like housewives over the phone. The conversation would be complete if we both started gossiping about tamil TV serials!!! What a laugh, we both had!

Its Martin Luther King Day today and I volunteered for a community service project under the Centre for Civic Engagement (CCE) as part of my Public Speaking class. We sorted out food items for 3 hours into their respective categories like pasta, potatoes, vegetables, tuna and the lot! There were so much of food out there and some were kind enough to donate it to the Pullman food bank. However, there were some idiots who gave expired products, USED PRODUCTS and the like. A friend of mine came across a few peanut-butter jars that had finger strokes in them. EWWW!!! Once we were done sorting, we had a reflection session and I felt that it told me what I actually felt throughout that 3 hours.

I might be heading back home this summer. A thought that I never had before. Now, everything seems brighter with the thought of home-MALAYSIA! Everything taste a lot more sweeter just because it was not an expected decision. Well, life is full of surprises when you don't expect anything at all. The thought of stepping foot in my land made me smile even more. I am not missing my family just because they are always in touch! But getting caught up in this rat race of my education, I tend to loose the grip from home. Not because I think its better here but its because I keep my self occupied so that I wouldn't miss Malaysia as much!

There are 2 holes in myself at the moment; one in my pocket,thanks to an awesome winter break and another in my brain as I feel like I am losing focus due to this sudden piece of decision. Anyways, as I always end up saying, I will live my live for the moment that is passing now and not for the ones that are coming because they might end up getting stuck in the traffic signals of my life. It is a good thing to look forward too but matters of the current are better of handled first since I have a degree in the Bachelor of Digression and Procrastination for the past 20 years.

This week has certainly made me reflect on a lot of things!

When the mirror is turned to me,
What do I see?
A lady made of courage and wisdom,
Who is staring back at me.

I will aspire to be,
That lady in that mirror,
For if the mirror cracks,
She will still be there,
Because I got her back!

2 comments:

Wei Jie said...

Hey woman, you wrote the mirror poem? Me like!

thanges said...

hahax.....yes WJ, i tulis!!! thanks!!!