Monday, February 14, 2011

BLUE

Funny how fast my thoughts change its focus.

Last Friday, the International Student Council organized a speed dating event called iConnection in conjunction with Valentine's Day. Yours truly was a volunteer in helping out with decorations and also performed Aaja Nachle to start off the event alongside the Hawaiian dance, Phillipino dance, Vietnamese dance and break dance. What I didn't mention in my earlier post was that I also signed up for the speed dating event. Not to find my Valentine but to meet people and feed my curiosity on how these things work. The dance went surprisingly well since we only practiced for three days. The speed dating started after all the performances, so I quickly got back to the seat that I was assigned too, along with all the other beautiful ladies on my side while the handsome men sat on the opposite side facing us. The game plan was that every guy would date one girl for 2-3minutes (with our emcees who were our time-keepers) and then move to the next seat once time was up. The ladies just had to sit there( Thank God..=p) We were all given this card that had rows of 'blank', 'yes' and a 'no' for which we had to fill the blank with our dates' number and circled yes or no if we would want to exchange information with that person to continue the relationship. With that info, the committee members would then match up the yes(s) and no(s) and email us the results.

10 minutes go by and I realized how fun it was for both me and my dates whom I had a good chat with. Then, the BIG moment came! After 10 minutes, I started to not only focus on my date but kept looking a the far end of the table to check whom am I going to date next. Guess who was on the next seat to my date? FERNANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! Only last week I remember not focusing in class due to his appearance and personality AND now here am I seconds away from dating my Genetics TA that I had been swooning about! HAHAHAHAH! Fernando and I dated for 3 minutes and I was constantly emphasizing the moment of how weird it was that I am dating my TA. And to that he replied, "Well, I am an International student and I am single. I am your TA but I am also a person, okay..." I was awe-struck with his casual approach and started to think how was my next class with him is going to turn out: AWKWARD! We spoke about my major and how he ended up being in the US, being a Costa Rican and it ended very pleasantly! That topped everything!!!!!! You might ask if I did find anyone worthy..but let me cut you short and say that I didn't have any intentions of getting a date there and that it was just for the mere experience of it. The event ended early and I helped clean up and got a ride back home before I called up a sleepy Hema and woke her up with this piece of news!

I got up at 12.30pm on Saturday and realized I was late for something and quickly took a shower and rushed to the Smith Gym where I watched something that I am not going to say at the moment. The time will come when I am ready. So just wait! hehe! Anyways, the weekend went by with lots of facebooking, movies and skype sessions with friends and family. Then another BANG came. My finances has been taking the wrong route for the past two months thanks to Subway and Starbucks! Gotta cut down on that, I must! My informative speech is scheduled this Friday and I am in mixed feelings to enlighten my class about Thaipusam. Hopefully all goes on well! My you tube channel has also smiled back at me with 300+ views within a week and I have recently subscribed to MalaysiaKini which has gotten me pumped up about police brutality in Malaysia. If you asked my dad what I wanted to be when I was in Standard 3, he would say a policewoman. He said that because he thought I watched Gerak Khas too much that time.

Yes, Gerak Khas was the catalyst and no, nothing is real in the entertainment industry's plot when it comes to local soap operas. But since small, we have all believed that when a police station is near home, we all can sleep with smiles. Not anymore. I have been watching so many protests over youtube on Malaysians carrying banners that shout "Polis penjenayah berlesen" or "The police are criminals with a licence". What happened to justice? What happened to "police will take care of us?" I am scared! What if one fine day, the police arrests me for shoplifting and then my family have to find me four days later with bruises all over my body and also maybe even raped? I am not embarrassed to admit the truth that might happen to me. I might be too weak to kick him in his 'kingdom' to defend myself. Too weak, yes! But with all this voice in me, I know I can scream-scream the truth out.

With great power, comes great responsibility! "Police uncle, please lah, I want to balik to a safe home in 3 years time." I wanted to be policewoman. Do you know why? Because I love the feeling that Abby Abbadi and AC Mizal had when the ended each episode with pride and assurance that they can be the armor to ALL the crimes in the world! The feeling of pride of wearing that blue uniform to serve the common good! Do you know why uniforms are all in same color and pattern? Its ONLY because everyone who wears that uniform serve only one purpose and one purpose only and that is to achieve one common goal: To have a nation, that my dear Standard 3 siblings can write down in their brown exercise books with clear hearts: "Malaysia merupakan sebuah negara yang AMAN DAN DAMAI"

Can you do that for me, Mr. Police? A small request from your humble citizen, asking you to do your job right. Please! Tolong encik, hentikan semua ini. Jangan kerana nila setitik, rosak susu sebelanga. Oh wait, isn't nila, blue in color? How amusing that the resemblance in color of the 'nila' and the police uniform color were not obvious to me before? Did our ancestors foresee this issue? God only knows. Anyhow, BEAR IN MIND, many police still do behave like Abby and AC. Its just that, we, the young ones, are afraid that the 'some' of you might be lurking around in our hometowns.

Blue was my favorite color
Till you hit my brother
Blue was my favorite color
Till you touched my sister
Blue, I hope, will be my favorite color again,
Because I still do have faith in you,
As Blue rhymes with True,
I will never go away from you.

PEACE!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow,wow,wow,wow amazing lah akka....me wanna write karangan oso susah u can write like this aah??? hahahx... *FRENANDO* hahahahx

thanges said...

lah! u did it maa!!! nice work!!! but can improve on ur grammr and expression of thoughts!!! nalla irre!